Sunday, April 27, 2014

Develomental Edits

I got my first round of edits from Anaiah Press. I remember some author friends of mine telling me that editing is soul killing. I can say that I do know what they meant. Here is the story that I workd so hard on, some things in this story caused me to cry while I wrote it. Then to get notes back saying to change something or that it may not be believable.

There was one note that I read that caused me to argue with my computer screen. It was not a "bad" note, it was just something I felt strongly about. The dog in the book. I based the dog off of a family dog. This dog would let any child climb all over him and would be the friendliest dog in the world. Seriously, you would think he was a giant lap dog. But the second an adult stranger came near one of the kids in the family he would growl. ANYWAY, after I argued with the email on my screen I talked with a friend who said that she agreed with the editor, I had already planned to cut the line that was suggested to be cut (it was only one sentence that kind of contradicted the gentleness of the dog) but hearing her say that she could see that point got me to thinking that simply because I have experienced something one way does not mean that it is the norm for the general population.

What I am trying to say is that there are things that I wrote, seeing from experience that I simply thought this is how others see it too and turns out that it may not be the case. I am enjoying my edits now. I loved the feedback that I got from my editor and I know that this is going to make Love Overcomes so much better than it ever would have been without her.

So, to all those editors out there dissecting manuscripts and jotting down notes to help people like me make our stories better I simply want to say thank you. I can only imagine the amount of time that has to be spent reading through the manuscript to figure out everything that needs to be done.

And on that note I am off to do some more edits, I am really enjoying it because I get to add some things to my story. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment